Thursday, September 11, 2008

Top Ten Reasons I Love Living In a Small Town:

10. When I have to run errands "in town" I can just park my car one time and walk to get all of them done with the boys while we hold hands and walk nice and slowly :)

9. When I go to the post office I can be the ONLY one there so I don't have to wait in line.

8. When I go to the DMV and it's closed for lunch (!?!?) I can stop and take pictures of the boys climbing on the steps and monkeying around outside while really cute older folks look on and smile and say "what cute boys you have!".

7. I can also walk over to one of my client's house (if need be) and drop off a welcome packet to kill time ;) and go have my new dress altered.

6. I can also shop at the antique shop and find awesome props to kill time. :)

5. When the DMV is open again I can be the first one in line because I am only one of three other people in the whole building and I get taken care of right away!

4. When I only have $7 and I need $15 I can walk with the boys right over to Casey's because the DMV doesn't take VISA debit OR credit and I don't have my checkbook with me.

3. When I can't remember my own debit password and I can't get money out at Casey's either I can walk around town a bit more and find someone who will lend me the $10 I need to pay the lady at the DMV so I don't have to drive all the way back to P'Ville to get my money because everyone I know who is related to me and could help me isn't available and they believe me when I promise up and down that I will send a check in the mail ASAP.

2. And after I borrow $10 from the owner of this particular business who is really really nice and walk back to the DMV, I can find that the nice lady behind the counter has held my spot I think and not helped anyone else because she was waiting for me to get back :) So I didn't have to wait AGAIN...AND I got to register to vote on the same trip...and have my picture taken while a nice farmer talked to my boys about tractors, combines, and loaders and I am not terrified that he will try and steal them when I am not looking from 5 ft. away :)

1. I am totally serious, this happened to me yesterday!!! I LOVE living in a small town!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...were you in Wy..? When I went there in June, I had to wake up the man at the counter to help me =)

Then, we went to the Pizza Hut - thankfully they did take Visa - but - I had locked my keys and wallet in the van...so it was just me and my 3 kiddos - no money and pizzas in the oven! (did I mention there was only 2 other people in the restaurant...elderly, of course, and on the edge of their seats with all of the "excitement")

Not to fear, the teenager making pizzas volunteered to help me try to break in to the van....when he was unsuccessful, another PH employee came out and said she knows the sherrif in town and would call him out.

Upon arrival, the sherrif informed me that they were no longer allowed to use their equipment to open a vehicle to retrieve keys.....but....he would do it anyway....ONLY in a small town!

Anonymous said...

YES!!!! See??? That's what I am talking about!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rosie, that is sooo funny, but I completely understand. I love the small town atmosphere also. When we moved here I went to get my drivers license, and was surprised to find (coming from the Atlanta,GA. area) that I had to take the drivers test with a paper and pencil!?!?!? My husband and I just laughed, and knew right away living here was gonna be great!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh ladies, i just had to laugh out loud at both of your stories! Dana, that is hilarious...and yes only in a small town. I wonder if the boy really knew how but then faked that he didn't so it wouldn't look like he "knew how" to do that sort of thing...OR thank goodness our young teens DON'T know how??? Either way, too funny! AND about the police man..too funny! There are times I can count on BOTH my hands that I had favors done for me (at businesses etc.) that would NEVER happen where I grew up. {Sigh} I love this place........:)