Thursday, March 27, 2008

Do you notice the difference?




Yes!! My sheer studio curtains had a case of the "floods"....I mean look at those poor things on top there...just sad!! Good thing I found those longer ones!! Finally have all my window coverings in (well except one small window shade - but we can save that for another post)....having almost all of my windows done feels so good!!! I have also been extremely busy these last two days painting. Yes I know I am on a roll! To explain: I had three pieces of wood furniture that were all different tones/colors of wood (red, orange, dark dark brown). One piece was perfect for the studio but WAY the wrong color!! I was going to sell it in our annual town wide garage sale figuring I had no use for it (sad really because it was wedding gift from my sister - I picked out this china hutch from an estate sale and she offered to buy it for part of our wedding present ;) anyways...I was going to get rid of it until my sister-in-law who is the crafty/painting queen suggested I paint it. Immediately my stomach sank and I thought "oh no! that's too big of a job for me!" until she explained how and that it was so easy! Well, I tried it and have painted three pieces of furniture "canyon black" since yesterday. THey are drying right now as we speak! I'll have to post some pics tomorrow or the next day :) (Redoing some furniture was actually on my life goal list so "check" on that one!!! Yippee!!)

So here's how Ryan and I painted our funiture pieces:

1. sand down pieces/rough them up pretty well

2. rub down with rubbing alchohol

3. prime with bulls eye 123 primer using mini roller with FINE roller brush (white) - dry

4. repeat (we repeated just to make sure it was covered well) - dry

5. paint desired color with FINE roller brush (purrdy brand or something or other) -dry

6. repeat until covered to desired liking - let dry for the last time

7. enjoy your *new* furniture!!

Can't wait to get my prop chest back into the studio (so I can get all my cute props back in there!) and also my *new* product cabinet/hutch. So exciting! I am also so excited to see what my black shelf looks like in my newly decorated living room. Don't worry I'll post!

Okay, so tell me you noticed the difference in the above pics by now. :)

Hope everyone is having a gorgeous day! It's starting to warm up!! Stay tuned for some outdoor session peeks!! Love, ~R.......:)

4 comments:

Hilary Melick said...

Hey, I love painted furniture! I have painted many, many pieces in my day. I like the distressed look too, so often times I go back and sand the corners and edges after painting and then coat it with some "poly." Then you have that Pottery Barn look in no time!!!:)
Hilary

rsr said...

Oooh thanks Hilary! I wish I knew what the pieces looked like distressed before I actually distressed them! Going back and redoing would be sad. Hmmm...maybe I can try and inconspicuous place?

Anonymous said...

Rosie, I love the picture of the chair and your little one in color. It's very cool. I was going to comment on it the other day, and ran out of time. Things are looking good!!!

rsr said...

thank you M! everything's coming together nicely! :)