Wednesday, May 28, 2008

DESIGNER SIGNERS CONTEST!!!

Welcome to our very first Mommy Business Showcase!! Once a month I will be showcasing a mom in the Greater Peoria Area that has her own business and giving away a prize provided by her. Yippee!!! Okay, so here we go!!
-
Today we are showcasing Designer Signers, an American sign language mommy and baby class owned and operated by Peoria's very own, Rebecca Snook!! Rebecca is passionate about sign language and the benefits that it provides little ones in their early stages of communication with mommy, daddy, other family members, and friends etc. I am equally as passionate about sign language for babies and young ones as I used sign language with both of my boys! As a bilingual educator I know the benefits of multi-lingualism and sign language is a language!! What better than to get our little ones' brains energized, working, making connections, and growing!?!? When I met Rebecca we had such a blast talking about our backgrounds in education, sign language for babies, and the many benefits for babies and parents alike.
-
In Rebecca's brochure it says:
-
"Through the use of American Sign Lanuage your child will be able to communicate with you before they can even speak or have mastered the English language.
-
Studies show that sign language can reduce stress and frustration, lessen behavior problems, enhance vocabulary, increase literacy skills, and may even raise IQ."
-
I am so excited about what Rebecca is offering!! I have reaped the benefits firsthand of teaching sign language to my own boys and they are very animated and wonderful speakers today. Benjamin is 21 months old and is speaking in 3 (or more )word (baby) sentences. Caleb also is a very eloquent speaker (like...talks A LOT!) and used sign language until he was able to speak. In fact, he was signing two and three word sentences until he was able to communicate effectively through speech. I also had a wondeful experience with a client. Little K was shy and didn't quite know what to think of me when she first came for her photo shoot. I saw that her mom used sign language with her so I started signing with her also...her face lit up as she ate her cheerios and she promptly came over and plopped herself into my lap. We were buddies the rest of the photo session and she ended up having a great time! Just knowing that she could communicate with me and that I understood her was so valuable in helping her feel comfortable in my studio and around my camera. (Yipee!!)
-
It's funny because many people don't know about sign language for babies...or at least it was pretty new when my first was a baby. There were books and a few resources, but not a class like Rebecca is offering (that I knew about at least.) Some people thought I was nuts for teaching him to sign thinking he would never speak correctly etc. HA! The most gratifying moment for me was when my son, Caleb who was about 10 months at the time (after about 6 months of daily signing and simultaneously saying to him "more", "all done", "hungry", "please", "thank you" during our regular routine), was on the swing outside for the first time. He lasted about 3 minutes and with my hubby standing right there, instead of screaming and whining because he was done, he simply signed "all done" ( first time unpromted) with a smile on his face! My hubby looked at me with a huge grin of disbelief and then amazement!! He expressed how awesome it was that our little guy didn't have to whine and fuss (he doesn't like whining and fussing) to get what he needed. (SIGH OF RELIEF!) Same thing with Benjamin. When he wanted some more food - no tears..he would simply sign "more" and get the point across. Signing "more" eventually turned to "mo" for more, and now it's "I wah dom mo too!" (I want some more too!) at 21 months.
-
If you haven't started sign language with your baby yet, I strongly recommend even just the basics so that your child knows that he/she can communicate in a relaxed and fun way with you without all the tears and fuss (and that high pitched scream for goodness sakes!)....also the relief on their face when they see that you understand them is priceless!!
-
Okay, so now the BONUS!!! Leave a comment here on the blog with your name, the name of your little one (6-24 months) and one fun thing you're going to do this summer and I'll have Caleb randomly pick a winner on Friday May 30th. What will you win?? Well, ONE COMPLIMENTARY DESIGNER SIGNERS 4 WEEK (1 hour per week) CLASS WITH REBECCA of course! This is a $50 value!! (One entry per child please.)
-
And now...I had to dig deep into the family digital archives for these but I found them!! Please enjoy some snaps I got of Caleb using sign language to communicate. I have tons more but thought I'd stop here. He used it so often I didn't even have to prompt him to sign for the pictures, just catch it on camera :) Some of the signs are "his version" of the sign but we knew what he meant - and effective communication was the key so it worked! :)

-


-

For more info please contact Rebecca via the info below. She offers classes on Saturdays from 11-12 noon and classes run for 4 weeks. Rebecca is a certified sign2me presenter. Thank you so much for being our very first mommy business showcase Rebecca! You are doing a wonderful thing and offering a very valuable service to our communities!!
-
Business name: Designer Signers

"Where Communication is a Work of Art!"
Owner: Rebecca Snook (B.S. & M.S. in Education)
Contact: 309-360-8119 or rar1229@hotmail.com
Website: You can look up Rebecca's profile at www.sign2me.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie, it's me, again!! You should know by now I'm gonna do whatever contest I can. OK, so I think that is great,I don't remember if we talked about you teaching your boys to sign, but you know my in-laws are both deaf, and that will thrill them to see Gracie(almost a year) sign to them.This summer we are going on a lot of bike rides, and will probably pull Gracie in the wagon along with us.We plan on seeing alot of the great outdoors. We hope you enjoy your summer,too!!!!

Lyndsay said...

Hi Rosie! My sister told me about your blog as her little girl did a photo shoot with you recently. I would love to get a taste of the sign language with my almost 7 month daughter, Rylie. This summer we plan to take many walks and enjoy the pools! We are going to Door County, WI as a family with our friends and their newborn where we will relax, swim and hike! Look forward to seeing who the winner is! Have a wonderful summer! Lyndsay

Anonymous said...

Rosie, What a fun idea to incorporate other mommy-run businesses! I used sign language a lot with Emma (who is now the most talkative 4 1/2 year old on the planet). I have done some with Carson, but I must admit he is suffering from the common fate of every second child . . . I will never be able to do as much reading, playing, teaching, etc. just for the fact that there are two of them now! At least he has some great baby pictures so he can't claim I loved him any less:-)
Anyway, this summer we plan to take the kids for a mini-vacation to St. Louis. Both of them love animals so we are looking forward to visiting their zoo! ~Jenni

Holly said...

Miss Rosie,
Oh how the time is going by..my little O is almost seven months old:)! I can't wait for you to see him in July. When Lauren was little I used sign language because I could never tell if she was full or still hungry. This summer we will be swimming lots and taking walks and going to all the local festivals. Were going to the Cherry Festival tonight. Fun times!! Holly

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosie, Julie here, I have tried using some signs with Luke, who is now 9 months old. I think teaching sign language to babies is a wonderful concept to enhance their expressive language development, and ease frustration! This summer we are planning on swimming, playing and visiting family. And of course celebrating the big 1st birthday!! Have a great day!!